Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Relief

What a relief to hear my radiation oncologist say, "No, I wouldn't do a bone scan." She assured me that the pains I've been feeling are perfectly within the parameters of my treatment timetable. (The worst effects of radiation happen after the last treatment.  That's why they schedule a follow-up appointment six weeks out.)

When she told me that I was being officially discharged, my stomach dropped momentarily. But then I realized that I was being handed back over to my medical oncologist and primary care physician for regular check-ups. Whew! I'm not on my own yet.

In the evening I attended a teaching session on living through and beyond cancer. I learned that I'm already considered a survivor! And I accepted the idea of being in surveillance mode. For at least the next five years, I'll be watched closely by several different medical practitioners. And I'll be paying attention to my own body; any abnormal symptoms that persist will be reported and checked out.

But for now, I'm ready to move forward!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so thrilled for you & proud of you, my beautiful survivor friend!! -Suzanne R

    ReplyDelete